Hormone related problems are common in people irrespective of age or gender. Endocrine surgery is a super speciality dedicated to diseases affecting the endocrine glands. Highly specialised in handling disorders of the endocrine organs, the Department of Endocrine Surgery at BMH is headed by Dr Pradeep PV-- the first MCh qualified endocrine surgeon in South India.
Dr Pradeep has years of experience in this field and is highly recognized for his expertise. This endocrine surgery department works in collaboration with other surgery departments of BMH to manage wide range of complex diseases. Open and minimal access surgeries of various kinds are done at the department. The expert surgeons work in collaboration with the endocrinologists during initial diagnosis and investigation of endocrine disorders to guarantee optimal care to the patients.
Panel of Doctors
Dr. Pradeep is the first M.Ch qualified Endocrine Surgeon in South India who specializes in Thyroid Surgery, Parathyroidectomy and Adrenalectomy. He also consult on the matters related to Endocrine Pancreas, Diabetic Foot and Breast Disease. He is a well known thyroid specialist in Kerala and Andhra Pradesh. He has published a number of research papers and also secured a number of awards and recognitions.
|MBBS||1987-1994||Medical College Hospital Calicut, India.|
|MS (General Surgery)||1994-1997||Medical College Hospital Calicut, India.|
|DNB (General Surgery)||2004||National Board of Examinations New Delhi.|
|MRCSEd (Gen Surgery)||2005||The Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh|
|M.Ch (Endocrine Surgery)||2005-2007||Sanjay Gandhi Postgraduate Institute of Medical Sciences, Lucknow, India.|
|FACS||2014||Fellow American College of Surgeons|
|FIMSA||2015||Fellow International Medical Sciences Academy|
|FRCS (Glasgow)||2016||Fellow Royal College of Surgeons and Physicians of Glasgow|
After completing M.Ch he worked as Assistant professor and later as Associate Professor of Endocrine Surgery at Narayana Medical College and Hospital Nellore (1300 bedded teaching hospital affiliated to NTR Health University, Vijayawada). 2008-2010, prior to this he was working at various institutions like Medical College Calicut, Amrita Institute of Medical Sciences, Kochi.
He has presented several papers at various national and international meets. He has conducted and participated in live surgical workshops for thyroid surgeries. He has more than 50 publications in the field of Endocrine Surgery.
He is the chief editor of the book “Rogangal Engenethadayam" published by Jyothy publications, Thrissur.
Dr Pradeep is active member of:
- American Thyroid Association
- British Association of Endocrine and Thyroid Surgeons
- International Surgical Society
- International Association of Endocrine Surgeons
- Indian Association of Endocrine Surgeons
- Indian Thyroid Association
- Association of Surgeons of India
- Indian Medical Association
- Associate Professor, Department of Endocrine Surgery, Narayana Medical College and Superspeciality Hospital, Nellore, Andhra Pradesh (Affiliated to NTR Health University, Vijayawada). 2012-13
- Asst Professor, Department of Endocrine Surgery, Narayana Medical College and Superspeciality Hospital, Nellore, Andhra Pradesh (Affiliated to NTR Health University, Vijayawada). 2010-2012
- Asst Professor, Department of General Surgery, Narayana Medical College and Superspeciality Hospital, Nellore, Andhra Pradesh (Affiliated to NTR Health University, Vijayawada). 2008-2010
- Senior Resident and MCh Fellow, Dept of Endocrine Surgery, Sanjay Gandhi Postgraduate Institute of Medical Sciences, Lucknow (Jan 2005 - Dec 2007)
- Assistant Professor Dept of General & Endocrine Surgery Amrita Institute of Medical Sciences, PO Elamakkara, Kochi (Dec 2002 to Dec 2004)
- Registrar in General, Pediatric & GI Surgery at Malabar Institute of Medical Sciences Calicut, June 2002 to Dec 24, 2002 (recognized for DNB prog)
- Lecturer in General Surgery, Medical College Calicut, July 2001 - June 2002 (Teaching Institute for UG & PG)
- Consultant Surgeon at Vatakara Cooperative Hospital (1997 - July 2001)75 bedded Hospital with all Gen Surgical & trauma case.
- Pradeep PV. Papillary microcarcinoma of thyroid: Institutional Experience. JIMSA 2015;28(2):89-91
- Dorairajan N, Pradeep PV: Vignette Hyperparathyroidism: A glimpse into the past. Int Surg. 2014 Sep-Oct;99(5):528-33
- Pradeep PV., Shanthi V, Reddy KK, Mohan KV. Cysticercosis in the thyroglossal duct cyst: rare site for a common problem.Pathology. 2014 Jun; 46(4):365-6.
- Pradeep PV., Ramalingam K. Postoperative PTH Measurement Is Not a Reliable Predictor for Hypocalcemia after Total Thyroidectomy in Vitamin D Deficiency: Prospective Study of 203 Cases. World J Surg. 2014 Mar;38(3):564-7]
- Muralidharan D, Pradeep PV., Fareed N, Santhi M, Ramalingam K, Ajith Kumar BV. Qualitative and quantitative changes in saliva among patients with thyroid dysfunction prior to and following the treatment of the dysfunction. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol. 2013 May;115(5):617-23
- Dorairajan N, Pradeep PV.: Vignette Thyroid Surgery: A glimpse into the past. International Surgery 2012 Int Surg. 2013 Jan-Mar;98(1):70-5
- Pradeep PV.,Jayasree B. Thyroglossal cyst in pediatric population: Apparent differences from adult thyroglossal cyst. Ann Saudi Med. 2013 Jan-Feb;33(1):45
- Pradeep PV., Vissa S. Follicular neoplasm involving one lobe of thyroid: is hemithyroidectomy the adequate initial procedure?Ir J Med Sci 2013;182(1):37-40
- Pradeep PV., Jayashree B, Skandha S Harshita.A closer look at laryngeal nerves during thyroid surgery: A descriptive study of 584 nerves. Anat Res Int 2012;2012:490390,doi:10.1155/2012/490390. Epub 2012
- Pradeep PV., Jayasree B, Ramalingam K. Post total thyroidectomy hypocalcemia in benign goiters: A novel multifactorial scoring system to enable its prediction to facilitate early discharge. J Postgrad Med. 2013 Jan-Mar;59(1):4-8.
- Pradeep PV.. Non recurrent laryngeal nerve: Nerve that needs careful dissection. Snapshots in Surgery; WJOES 2013
- Pradeep PV., Ramalingam K. Familial isolated hyperparathyroidism: Role of Intraoperative PTH assay. Indian J Surgery 2012;74(5):422-24
- Pradeep PV., Matta R. An Unusual Dermoid Cyst of the Neck presenting as Mass in the Lateral Neck. World J EndocrSurg 2012;4(1):26-28
- Hegde KV, Suneetha P, Pradeep PV., Kumar P. Asymptomatic Thymic Cyst Appearing in the Neck on Valsalva: Unusual Presentation of a Rare Disease. J Clin Imaging Sci 2012;2:11
- Pradeep PV., Vydehi B. Local recurrence as a first sign of parathyroid malignancy! Need to redefine the criteria for diagnosis of parathyroid carcinoma. Indian J EndocrinolMetab. 2013 Sep;17(5):927-9
- Ragavan M, Renu Kumar T, Pradeep PV., Sattar A.‘Umbrella sign’ in computerized tomogram to differentiategiant greater omental cyst from ascites. Trop Gastroenterol. 2013 Oct-Dec;34(4):268-70
- Pradeep PV. State of the art: Surgery for endemic goiter. Langenbecks Arch Surg. 2012 Mar;397(3):491-2
- Pradeep PV., Jayasree B. Post total thyroidectomy hypocalcemia a multifactorial approach to enable its prediction to enable early discharge. Thyroid 2011;21(S1) A72. (abstract)
- Pradeep PV., Jayashree B, Renu Kumar T. Reversal of cardiomegaly and cardiac function in Hyperthyroidism. World J EndocrSurg2011;3(2):101
- Pradeep PV., Vijayabhasker G. Surveillance and Intervention after thyroid lobectomy. Ann SurgOncol. 2011 Dec;18 Suppl 3:S308
- Pradeep PV., Ajith K Benede, Jayashree B, Skandha SH. Harlequin syndrome in a Toxic Goiter: A rare association. Case Report Med 2011;2011:293076. Epub 2011 Jul12
- Pradeep PV., Jayashree B, Mishra A, Mishra SK. Systematic review of primary hyperparathyroidism in India: the past, present and future trends. Int J Endocrinology 2011;2011:921814: Epub 2011 May 26 doi:10.1155/2011/921814
- Pradeep PV.. A Closer look at Parathyroid anatomy during thyroid surgery. BMH Med J 2014;1(4):66-71
- Pradeep PV., Jayashree B. Ectopic thyroid with Hashimotos thyroiditis presenting with goitrous hypothyroidism: Case Report. Eur J Pediatr Surg. 2011 May 3;PMID:21544779
- Pradeep PV., M. Ragavan, Jayashree B, Skanda H Harshita, Ramakrishna BA. Surgery in Hashimoto’s thyroiditis: indications, complications and associated cancers - our experience (Original article) JPGM 2011;57(2):120-22
- Pradeep PV., Jayashree B. Soap bubble type of calcification in Thyroid: Radiological surprise. Otolaryngol-Head & Neck Surg 2011;144(4):642-43
- Ragavan M, Haripriya U, Pradeep PV., Sarvavinothini J. Prune belly syndrome with pouch colon a rare association- Case Report and review of literature. Pediatric Health, Medicine and Therapeutics Journal 2011;2:1-4
- Pradeep PV., Sattar V, Krishnachaithanya V, Ragavan M. Huge Thyromegaly: Challenges in the management. ANZ J Surg. 2011 May;81(5):398-400
- Kumar T.R., Pradeep PV., Ragavan M. Bilobar Thyroid Agenesis presenting with Adenomatous Isthmus and Hypothyroidism in a 13 year old girl: A Case report. Journal of Pediatric Sciences. 2010;2(2):e21
- Pradeep PV., M. Ragavan, T. Renu Kumar, B.A. Ramakrishna. Diffuse lipomatosis of thyroid with hyperthyroidism: A rare association. J Postgrad Med. 2010 Jan-Mar;56(1):35-6
- Pradeep PV., G.V. Chanukya, M. Ragavan, T. Renu Kumar, B.A. Ramakrishna. Surgery in Hashimoto’s thyroiditis: indications, complications and associated cancers - our experience World J Surg (2009) 33:S227
- Pradeep PV., Kuldeep S. Central Lymph Node Metastasis: Is It a Reliable Indicator of Node Involvement in Papillary Thyroid Carcinoma?World J Surg. 2010;34(9):2251
- Pradeep PV., Tiwari P, Mishra A, Agarwal G, Agarwal A, Verma AK, Mishra SK. Pulmonary function profile in patients with benign goiters without symptoms of respiratory compromise and the early effect of thyroidectomy.J Postgrad Med. 2008 Apr-Jun;54(2):98-101.
- Pradeep PV., Mishra A, Agarwal G, Agarwal A, Verma AK, Mishra SK. Long-term outcome after parathyroidectomy in patients with advanced primary hyperparathyroidism and associated vitamin D deficiency.World J Surg. 2008 May;32(5):829-35.
- Pradeep PV., Agarwal A, Jain M, Gupta SK. Myasthenia gravis and autonomously functioning thyroid nodule - a rare association. Indian J Med Sci. 2007 Jun;61(6):357-9.
- Pradeep PV., Agarwal A, Baxi M, Agarwal G, Mishra SK, Gupta SK. Safety and efficacy of Surgical Management of Hyperthyroidism: 15 yr experience from a tertiary care center in a developing country. World J Surg. 2007 Feb;31(2):306-12; discussion 313.
- Pradeep PV., Mishra A K, Agarwal V , Bhargav PRK , Gupta SK , Agarwal A. Adrenal cysts: an institutional experience: World J Surgery 2006, Vol 30 No: 10; 1817-1820
- Agarwal V, Agarwal A, AK Verma, Bhargava PRK, PV Pradeep Pheochromocytoma, stroke and myocardial infarction in a 43 year male with good functional recovery; a rare clinical sequele. Indian J Urol. June 2006;22:156-158.
- Pradeep PV., Sashidharan PK, Akbar MA Cushings syndrome due to a pancreatic islet cell tumour. J Assoc Physicians India1996 Nov;44(11):840.
- Agarwal G, Pradeep PV., Aggarwal V, Yip CH, Cheung PS. Spectrum of breast cancer in asian women. World J Surg. 2007 May;31(5):1031-40.
- Arshad F ,Pradeep PV., Mishra A, Agarwal G, Mishra SK. We read with interest the article by Brauckhoff et al., in the December 2004 issue of the World Journal of Surgery. World J Surg. 2005 Dec;29(12):1693; author reply 1694.
- Pradeep PV., Mishra A, Mishra SK. Re: "Islet hyperplasia in adults: challenge to preoperatively diagnose non-insulinomapancreatogenic hypoglycemia syndrome". World J Surg. 2007 Feb;31(2):442-3; author reply 444-5
- Bhargav PRK, Pradeep PV., Agarwal V, Verma AK, Mishra A, Agarwal A, Mishra SK. The value of clinical characteristics and breast imaging studies in predicting a histopathologic diagnosis of cancer or high-risk lesion in patients with spontaneous nipple discharge. Am J Surg. 2007 Jan;193(1):141-2
- Pradeep PV., Agarwal V , Bhargav PRK , Mishra A . “Short stay thyroid surgery” Br J Surg 2005; 92:58-59. Correspondence
- Bhargav PRK, Pradeep PV., Mishra A. Clinical and biological features in the prognosis of Adrenocortical Cancer: Poor outcome of cortisol secreting tumors in a series of 202 consecutive patients. J ClinEndocrinolMetab 2006; 91: 2650-2655. Correspondence. http://jcem.endojournals.org/cgi/eletters/91/7/2650
- Pradeep PV., Mishra SK, Vaidyanathan S, Nair CG, Ramalingam K, Basnet R. Telementoring in Endocrine Surgery: Preliminary Indian Experience. Telemedicine and e-Health Feb 2006;12 (1) 73-77
- Pradeep PV., Mishra A, Mohanty BN, Mahapatra KC, Agarwal G, Mishra SK. Reinforcement of Endocrine Surgery Training: Impact of Telemedicine Technology in a Developing Country Context. World J Surg. 2007 31(8) 1665-1671
- Kapoor L, Basnet R, Pradeep PV., Mishra A, Mishra SK. Integrating telemedicine in surgical applications. CSI communications 2007; 30 (11):17-20
- Pradeep PV., Mishra A, Kapoor L, Daman R, Mishra SK. Applications of Tele-Health technology in Endocrine Surgery: Indian Experience. Proceedings of the Third IASTED International Conference, May31-June 1st, Montreal, Quebec, Canada. ISBN 978-0-88986-667-6.http://www.actapress.com/PaperInfo.aspx?PaperID=30771
- Pradeep PV., Anjali Mishra, Lily Kapoor, Rajesh Basnet, Gaurav Agarwal, Amit Agarwal, AK Verma, SK Mishra. Surgical sub-specialty growth in Developing country: Impact of Telemedicine technology; A Case study with Endocrine Surgery. Proceedings of 2006, 8th International conference on e-health networking, Application and Services. Healthcom2006 (ISBN:1- 4244-9704-5 pp 34-39 ©2006IEEE).
- SK Mishra, Mishra A, Pradeep PV. Telementoring in Endocrine Surgery Chapter 12,Telesurgery Book, Edited by Kumar S/ Marescaux J (In publication) Springer-Verlag GmbH, Heidelberg/Germany. ISBN no. 978-3- 540-72998- 3
- Mishra SK, Pradeep PV, Mishra A (2009). Telementoring in India: Experience with Endocrine Surgery. TeleHealth in the Developing World.1st Edition, London, Royal Society of Medicine Press. ISBN 978-1- 85315-784- 4(Book Chapter).
- Pradeep PV (Chief Editor): Rogangal Engane Thadayam (How to prevent diseases) 2011; Jyothy Publishers Thrissur, Kerala. (In Malayalam)
Nonindexed Journal Publications:
- PV Pradeep, SK Mishra. Current concepts in the management of Primary Hyperparathyroidism. Annals of Endocrine Surgery 2006, 9(1): 14-17
- PV Pradeep, SK Mishra. Preoperative preparation and surgical techniques in adrenal diseases. Annals of Endocrine Surgery 2006, 9(1): 34-38
- R Riju, PV Pradeep, G Unnikrishnan, C G Nair. Follicular Carcinoma thyroid with macroangioinvasion – A case report. Thyroid care and Research,2(2) May 2005
- PV Pradeep, P Jacob, RC George, S Vaidyanathan, A Nambiar, AV Susheelan: Concurrent medullary and papillary carcinoma of thyroid: A rare combination.Thyroid Research and Practice 2006 Vol 3, No:1, 20-23.
- Community Surgeon Award, American College of Surgeons, 2014.
- International Association of Endocrine Surgeons (IAES),USA travel grant 2013 to attend the ISW 2013, at Helsinki.
- Gold Medal for the best faculty publication in reputed medical journal by Narayana Educational Society, Nellore 2012.
- Travel award Indian Council of Medical Research 2011 (ICMR);Govt of India, to attend and present paper at the 81st Annual conference of the American Thyroid Association 2011, at Indian Wells, California.
- ISS_SIC Travel Award 2009 by the International Surgical Society, Switzerland To attend & present paper at the 43rd World Congress of Surgery of the INTERNATIONAL SOCIETY OF SURGERY ISS/SIC Adelaide, Australia, Sept 6-10, 2009.
- Best Senior Resident Award 2007, Sanjay Gandhi Postgraduate Institute of Medical Sciences, Lucknow.
- Partial travel grant of the Dept of Science & Technology; Govt of India for attending the 42nd annual conference of the ISS, at Montreal Canada, 25th Aug to 31st Aug 2007.
- Partial Travel grant Council of Scientific & Industrial Research (CSIR), Govt of India 2007 to attend the ISS/ ISW surgical week 2007.
- International Association of Endocrine Surgeons (IAES), USA travel grant 2007 to attend the 42nd annual conference of the ISS, at Montreal Canada, 25th Aug to 31st Aug 2007.
|Mon||10:00 am - 04:00 pm|
|Tue||10:00 am - 04:00 pm|
|Wed||10:00 am - 04:00 pm|
|Thu||10:00 am - 04:00 pm|
|Sat||10:00 am - 04:00 pm|
Services & Facilities
- Total Thyroidectomy / Hemi Thyroidectomy
- Total Thyroidectomy with Central Compartment Dissection
- Neck Dissection: Central Compartment/ Modified Radical Neck Dissection and Radical Neck Dissection.
- Tracheal Resection for Carcinoma Thyroid
- Completion Thyroidectomy for Recurrent Goiter
- Sternotomy for Retrosternal Goiters
- Four Gland Exploration
- Focussed Parathyroidectomy
- Total Parathyroidectomy with Thymectomy and Forearm Auto transplantation
- Unilateral Adrenalectomy: Laparoscopic / Open
- Bilateral Adrenalectomy Lap / Open
- Sternotomy and Thymectomy
- Insulinomas/ Gastrinomas
- Distal Pancreatectomy
- Subtotal Pancreatectomy
- Carcinoma Breast
- Benign Breast Diseases