The Department of Paediatrics was one of the first departments to be started in the year 1987 along with the departments of General Medicine and Obstetrics & Gynaecology. Distinguished as ‘Baby Friendly Hospital in Malabar’ since 1993, the Department of Paediatrics offers the best child care. The department provides comprehensive care starting from preventive care to guidance for life skills for infants and children. While offering services to the children with various medical conditions, we take a multi‐disciplinary approach assisted by a team of paediatricians, paediatric surgeons, paediatric nurses, nutritionists and other subspecialty consultants.
Commonly seen health problems in children such as infections, malignancies, organic diseases and dysfunctions, genetic defects etc. are treated by the medical specialists at the centre. State‐of‐the‐art facilities provided at the centre, aims at the physical as well as mental and emotional well‐being of children. Training of Post Graduate students for the National Board of Examination (DNB Paediatrics) was started in the year 2007 and the results so far have been commendable.
Panel of Doctors
Dr.Shaji was one of the first doctors who joined Baby Memorial Hospital when it was started in 1987. Starting his career as a Paediatrics specialist in BMH, he has gone on to become the Chief of Paediatrics & Neonatology and Director of Quality Management Services in this institution. He is also actively involved in the management of problems associated with teenagers and young adults. He was the first in Kerala to start a special clinic for children with Down syndrome. He is a much sought after faculty for state and national conferences, especially on topics related to Adolescent Paediatrics and Trisomy 21 (Down syndrome).
Dr.Shaji Thomas John was one of the first doctors who joined Baby Memorial Hospital when it was started in 1987. The department of Paediatrics was formed and nurtured under his guidance and over the years has become one of the strongholds of the institution. Starting his career as a Paediatrics specialist in BMH, he has gone on to become the Chief of Paediatrics & Neonatology in this institution. After obtaining his PG Diploma in Adolescent Paediatrics he is actively involved in the management of problems associated with teenagers and young adults also. He was the first in Kerala to start a special clinic for children with Down syndrome amply supported by the management of the hospital. Recognizing his administrative qualities coupled with sincerity and dedication he was made the Medical Superintendent of the hospital in 1993 and later the Director of Quality Management Services in 2013.Prior to his attachment with Baby Memorial Hospital, he had worked in the Ministry of Health in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia for 3 years.
He is a much sought after faculty for state and national conferences, especially on topics related to Adolescent Paediatrics and Trisomy 21 (Down syndrome). He is an authority on Trisomy 21 and a recognized speaker for World Down Syndrome Congresses. Dr.Shaji Thomas John is well known for his advocacy for children with special needs and represents India in the APDSF (Asia Pacific Down Syndrome Federation) and is also the Chair of the Asia Pacific Down Syndrome Medical Health Wellness (APDS MHW) Research Committee.
Dr.Shaji had conceived and directed the Free Hepatitis B Vaccination programme with the help of 'Children's Opportunities Grant' in the city of Calicut in the year 2000 wherein all the Government Primary School children who were willing were immunized. It was only later that the government made it compulsory and is now part of the 'Pentavalent vaccine' routinely administered to all children in India. He was also the District Coordinator and Resource person for Baby Friendly Hospital Initiative (BFHI) of World Health Organisation (WHO).
Actively involved in the researches associated with Down syndrome, as the Chair of APDSMHW Research Committee. An ongoing study is also headed by him, related to the development of children with Down syndrome, who attend the free clinic for them in Baby Memorial Hospital.
Dr.Shaji has many publications to his credit and was the first to report ‘Hot Water Epilepsy’from Kerala. Few of the publications are as noted below:
Contributions to books In:
- Swati Bhave. Ed. Adolescent Health Medicine. In: Parthasarathy A. Ed.IAP Color Atlas of Pediatrics. Contributed to Adolescent Health.
- Teaching material released in connection with Adolescon 2011
- Down syndrome A Down to Earth Approach. 2012
- Wiskott Aldrich Syndrome. Shaji Thomas John. Ind.J.Dermatology & Venerology. 1992; 58: 338340
- Hot Water Epilepsy. Shaji Thomas John. Kerala Med. J. 2000; 41(3): 2526
- Unilateral Hemispheric Encephalitis. Mohan Leslie Noone, Shaji Thomas John, BMH MedJ. 2014; 1(1): 1718
- * Infant with Hypocalcaemia and Dilated Cardiomyopathy secondary to Vitamin D Deficiency. Dhaval KC, Roshni Gangan, Shaji Thomas John, BMH J.2015;2(1): 202.
Dr. Shaji Thomas John was the recipient of the ‘Amaljith Humanitarian Foundation Award 2009’ (a national level award) for his services to children with special needs and the ‘Best Doctor Award 2012’ instituted by the Kozhikode branch of Indian Medical Association. In addition he was also the recipient of the 'Distinguished Service Award' on Doctors Day 2006 and the 'Four Avenues of Service Citation' by Rotary International in 2002.
He was recently honoured on World Down Syndrome Day 2016 (21st March) by the Department of Paediatrics, Government Medical College, Calicut and the Indian Academy of Pediatrics, in recognition of the services rendered for the betterment of persons with Down syndrome.
Dr.Shaji was the State President of the 'Adolescent Health Academy' (AHA) in 2010, 'Indian Academy of Pediatrics' (IAP) in 2014 and is now the National Chairperson of AHA for the year 2016.
|Mon||11:30 am - 01:30 pm, 04:00 pm - 06:00 pm|
|Tue||11:30 am - 01:30 pm, 04:00 pm - 06:00 pm|
|Wed||11:30 am - 01:30 pm, 04:00 pm - 06:00 pm|
|Thu||11:30 am - 01:30 pm, 04:00 pm - 06:00 pm|
|Fri||11:30 am - 01:00 pm|
|Sat||11:30 am - 01:30 pm, 04:00 pm - 06:00 pm|
Patients can turn to Prof C.K Sasidharan for all concerns regarding their healthcare development or other issues that they have, like nutrition problems, vaccination information and so on. He is a specialist who is currently doing research on viral infections in children. Being a highly knowledgeable doctor, he has already submitted several articles in different publications.
He was primarily responsible for developing Neonatology Unit of Medical College, Calicut with unique feature of maternal involvement in neonatal care. He had been in the forefront for improving the immunization status, nutrition status of tribal children in Wayanad.
He maintains high quality work in patient care and research.
- Anjay MA, Sasidharan CK, Anoop P. Hepatic subcapsular hematoma: two neonates with disparate presentations. Pediatr Neonatal. 2012 ; 53 (2) :144-6.
- Brown N, Sasidharan CK. Fisher D. Early growth and markers of cardiovascular risk in Keralan children in the integrated child development Scheme. Public Health Nutr. 2010; 13 (7) :1042-8.
- Sasidharan CK, Sugathan P, Mampilly N, Agarwal R, Khare S, Lal S, JayaramPaniker CK. Red baby syndrome a new disease due to parvovirus B-19 observed in Kerala. Indian J Pediatr. 2009 ; 76(3):309-12
- Sasidharan CK, Vijayakumar M. Virnodkumar MS. Effect of phenytoin sodium in reducing blistering of epidermolysisbullosa report of four cases. Indian J DermatolVenereolLeprol. 2002 ; 68 (4):217-9.
- Sasidharan CK, Gokul E, Anoop P, Vijayakuar M, Benefits of maternal participation in newborn nurseries. Indian J Pediatr. 2005 ; 72 (10) : 829-33.
- Sasidharan CK, Sugathan P, Agarwal R, Khare S, Lal S, JayaramPaniker CK. Hand-foot-and-mouth disease in Calicut. Indian J Pediatr. 2005; 72 (1) :17-21.
- Sasidharan CK, Anoop P, Vijayakumar M, Jayakrishnan MP, Reetha G, Sindhu TG. Spectrum of clinical presentations of vein of galen aneurysm. Indian J Pediatr. 2004 ;71 ( 5): 459-63.
- Sasidharan CK, Ravi KV. Popliteal pterygium syndrome with unusal features. Indian J Pediatr. 2004 ;71(3) :269-70.
- Sasidharan CK, Anoop P. Congenital varicella syndrome. Indian J Pediatr. 2003 ; 70(1) :101-3.
- Anoop P, Sasidhran CK. Baller-Gerold syndrome. Indian J Pediatr. 2002; 69 (12):1097-8.
- Sasidharan CK, Anoop P. Anencephaly with placental attachment. Indian J Pediatr. 2002 ; 69 (11) :991-2.
- Sasidharan CK, Kutty PM, Aithkumar, Sajith N. Fetal intracranial hemorrhage due to antenatal low dose aspirin intake. Indian J Pediatr. 2001 ; 68 (11): 1071-2.
- Sasidharan CK, Kumar PS. Vein of Galen aneurysm. Indian J Pediatr. 1990 ; 57 (3) : 446-8.
- Sasidharan CK, Rajagopal KC, Panicker CK. Salmonella typhimurium epidemic in newborn nursery. Indian J Pediatr. 1983 ; 50 (407): 599-605.
- Choudhry VP, Srivastava RN, Arya LS, Sasidharan CK, Ghai OP. Peritoneal dialysis in children: review of 9 years experience. Indian Pediatr. 1978 ; 15 (11): 887-92.
- Singh N, Sasidharan CK, Venkataraman S. Non-compressive myelopathy. J Assoc Physicians India. 1977; 25 (2) :123-9.
- Sasidharan CK, Alexander K.G, Shashikhare. Outbreak of enterovirus 71 meningitis in Calicut.BMJ 2016.
- Alumni oration – CMC 2000
- Eapen Samuel Award, 2010 – Best Publication - 2010
- Oration – IMSACON , 2015 (Pratap Reddy Oration)
|Mon||09:00 am - 03:00 pm|
|Tue||09:00 am - 03:00 pm|
|Wed||09:00 am - 03:00 pm|
|Thu||09:00 am - 03:00 pm|
|Fri||09:00 am - 03:00 pm|
|Sat||09:00 am - 03:00 pm|
Dr. Fahad is Paediatrician trained in medical management of diseases in children.
|Mon||11:00 am - 04:00 pm|
|Tue||11:00 am - 04:00 pm|
|Wed||11:00 am - 04:00 pm|
|Thu||11:00 am - 04:00 pm|
|Fri||11:00 am - 04:00 pm|
|Sat||11:00 am - 04:00 pm|
Dr. Fathima is a young and vibrant Paediatrician, who has undergone trainings from medical colleges and hospitals across India.
- MBBS – Government Medical College, Calicut (2010)
- MD (Paediatrics) – Government Medical College, Mysore (2017)
- Casualty Medical Officer – Rajendra Hospital, Calicut (2011 – 2012)
- Medical Officer – Department of health, NRHM, Government of India (2010 – 2011)
Poster presentations in Pedicon (Karnataka, Shivamoga) on inborn errors of metabolism of Vit B12 (MMA)
Thesis on – Cardiac assessment in thalassemia children on chronic transfusion therapy
|Mon||11:00 am - 05:00 pm|
|Tue||11:00 am - 05:00 pm|
|Wed||11:00 am - 05:00 pm|
|Thu||11:00 am - 05:00 pm|
|Fri||11:00 am - 05:00 pm|
|Sat||11:00 am - 05:00 pm|
Services & Facilities
- Well-equipped 10 bed Paediatric Intensive Care Unit for the management of critically ill children
- Well baby clinic with immunization services on all days except Sundays
- Qualified personal to manage adolescent health issues
- 24 hours facilities for all types of trauma care in children
- Facilities for the management of poisoning in children
- Special clinic for the management of children with Down syndrome