The Child Guidance Department at BMH focuses on improving the Intelligence, Memory, Concentration, Study skills, Communication skills, Social skills, Motor skills, Motivation and Life skills of children and adolescents, to guide them towards successful adulthood and excellence in life. The Child Guidance department at BMH is the only one of its kind in the region, which provides early intervention in preventing and managing the intellectual and behavioural problems of children.
The department helps children with learning disabilities to improve scholastic skills and children with development delays to catch up with their peers.The department guidesadolescents to deal with the challenges of life through life skills training and also helps teenagers to excel in exams through scientific guidance.
Panel of Doctors
With immense academic brilliance and 2 decades of experience, Dr. Beena Johnson is a familiar name in paediatric circles. She is well¬versed in the management of behavioural, intellectual and learning problems of children. She is an expert in developmental paediatrics, adolescent paediatrics and behavioural paediatrics. Dr. Beena’s management of learning & behavioural problems in children are making many families happy.
First Rank Holder for Final MBBS, University of Calicut. Graduated from Government Medical College, Calicut and had a brilliant academic track record. Received the Gold Medal for the Best Outgoing Student of Calicut Government Medical College. Was awarded the Gold Medal for First Rank in Pathology. She was also the First Rank Holder in Obstetrics and Gynaecology for Final MBBS, University of Calicut. Took Post graduation in Paediatrics (DCH) from Government Medical College, Calicut. Later took MD from Government Medical College, Calicut. Received training in Child Guidance from NIMHANS Deemed University, Bangalore, as part of postgraduate training program.
- Paediatrician – since 1992.
- Consultant in Child Guidance since December 2001.
- Senior Consultant in Child Guidance since December 2011.
- Dr. Beena Johnson is a developmental and behavioural paediatrician who is well-versed in the management of learning problems & behaviour problems of children and is an expert in the management of somatoform disorders in children.
- Highly experienced in providing teenage care.
- Has great expertise in giving early developmental and behavioural interventions for children with autism spectrum disorders.
- Provides early developmental stimulation for children with developmental delay.
- Conducted more than three hundred seminars & public health education programs for more than thirty thousand students, parents & teachers regarding management of learning problems & behavioural problems of children as well as exam stress management & life skills training.
- Given public awareness regarding Child Guidance through several articles in Health Magazines and News Papers as well as through Radio talks and Television programs.
- Invited Faculty in several National and State conferences of Indian Academy of Paediatrics.
- Gave the Theme Oration – “Adolescence - Our Concern” in the 36th State Conference of Indian Academy of Paediatrics – 2007.
- Was faculty in the National conference of Disability Chapter of Indian Academy of Paediatrics, held at Cochin.
- Faculty in State Conferences of Adolescent Health Academy from 2005 to 2016.
- Invited Faculty in National Conference of Adolescent Health Academy in 2006, 2007, 2011 and 2015.
- Faculty in the 1st National Conference on Down syndrome – NATCON T21.
- Organizing secretary of the National Conference of Adolescent Health Academy in 2011.
- State Executive Committee Member of Indian Academy of Paediatrics, Kerala State – 2006 to 2016.
- State Secretary of Adolescent Chapter of IAP, Kerala – 2007 to 09.
- State President of Adolescent Health Academy, Kerala – 2010 to 12.
- State Convener of IMA Committee for Child Welfare, Kerala – 2011 to 12.
- State Convenor of Adolescent Friendly Health Services, Indian Academy of Paediatrics, Kerala State – 2009 to 2016.
- The Academy of Medical Specialities of IMA awarded Fellowship to Dr. Beena Johnson in 2012, for the sincere services in the field of Paediatrics.
- Dr. Beena Johnson was awarded the Fellowship of International Medical Sciences Academy in 2013.
- Faculty in International Conference – Dr. Beena Johnson was the faculty in “Meet the Expert” session on Scholastic backwardness in Children, in the 15th Asia Pacific Congress of Paediatrics – APCP PEDICON – 2016 (22-01-2016).
Conducted Research on the Comorbidities in Children with Learning Disorders -2000
- Beena Johnson. Early Intervention in Children with Developmental Disabilities. BMH Med J. 2016;3(1):1-4.
- Beena Johnson. Eating Disorders in Adolescents. BMH Med J. 2015;2(4):89-90.
- Beena Johnson. Specific Developmental Disorders of Scholastic Skills. BMH Med J. 2015;2(3):74-78.
- Beena Johnson. Young Children With Autism Spectrum Disorders - Importance of Early Developmental and Behavioural Interventions. BMH Med J. 2015;2(2):37-43.
- Beena Johnson. Emotional Problems in Adolescents with Congenital Heart Diseases. BMHMed J. 2014;1(3):52-55.
- Beena Johnson. Attention-Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder in Children - Role of Behaviour Therapy and Parent Training Program. BMH Med J. 2014;1(2):27-29.
- Beena Johnson, Francis J. Stress and Cardiac Arrhythmias. Indian Pacing Electrophysiol J. 2014 Oct 6;14(5):230-2.
- Francis J, Beena Johnson, Niehaus M. Quality of life in patients with implantablecardioverter defibrillators. Indian Pacing Electrophysiol J. 2006 Jul 1;6(3):173-81.
- Beena Johnson. Psychological co morbidity in Children and Adolescents with LearningDisorders. J. Indian Assoc. Child Adolesc. Ment. Health. 2005;1(1):7.
- Beena Johnson, Francis J. Emotional and Behavioural Problems in Children and Adolescents with Congenital Heart Disease. J. Indian Assoc. Child Adolesc. Ment. Health. 2005;1(4):4.
- Beena Johnson. Behaviour problems in Children and Adolescents with Learning Disabilities. Internet J Ment Health. 2001;1:2.
- Beena Johnson. Learning Disorders in Children & Adolescents. Teens. 2002; 2(10-11):62-63.
Dr. Beena Johnson was the winner of Prof. Dr. MKC Nair Oration Award of Adolescent Health Academy, Kerala State – 2015, for the dedicated and valuable services rendered for Adolescent Health & Welfare at ADOLESCON – 2015. Dr. Beena Johnson delivered the oration on the topic “Incredible Power of Emotional Intelligence.”
Received the IAP State President’s Appreciation Award on 15-11- 2014, at DAKSHIN PEDICON-2014 for the valuable services rendered in the mission of Indian Academy of
Received the IMA State President’s Appreciation Award – 2010, for the Sincere and
Dedicated Services in the field of Child Welfare.
Received the IMA State President’s Appreciation Award – 2011, 2012 & 2013 for the Sincere and Dedicated Services rendered to the Medical Fraternity as Convener of IMA Committee for Child Welfare.
Received the IMA State President’s Appreciation Award – 2009 in recognition of the Sincere and Dedicated Services rendered to the Medical Fraternity in Adolescent Care and Stress Free Examination Project.
Received the Best Sub-Speciality Chapter Award of Indian Academy of Paediatrics, Kerala, as the Secretary of Adolescent Chapter of IAP – 2009 & 2010.
Received the Best Sub-Speciality Chapter Award of Indian Academy of Paediatrics, Kerala, as the President of Adolescent Health Academy of IAP – 2011 & 2012
Received the IAP State President’s Special Appreciation Award – 2006 & 2007 for the Excellent services rendered in the field of Adolescent Health.
|Mon||10:00 am - 06:00 pm|
|Tue||10:00 am - 06:00 pm|
|Wed||10:00 am - 06:00 pm|
|Thu||10:00 am - 06:00 pm|
|Fri||10:00 am - 06:00 pm|
|Sat||10:00 am - 06:00 pm|
Services & Facilities
- Learning Assessment
- Assessment of scholastic skills of children with learning problems and scholastic backwardness.
- Provides training, counselling and parental guidance for children with scholastic backwardness and learning problems, to improve concentration, memory and academic skills.
- Child Development
- Provides early sensory – motor stimulation for at risk babies, to prevent developmental delay.
- Developmental stimulation for infants and pre-school children with developmental delay.
- Parental guidance and training for language stimulation in children with expressive language delay and communication disorders.
- Training to improve intelligence and self-help skills in children.
- Child Guidance
- Provides Behaviour therapy for children with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, Oppositional defiant disorder and other behaviour disorders.
- Parental guidance and family therapy for management of emotional, behavioural and stress related problems in children.
- Social skills training for children with inadequate social skills..
- Management of bed wetting and stammering in children.
- Teenage Care
- Life skills training and counselling for adolescents to deal effectively with stressors and challenges of life.
- Provides therapy for the management of Anxiety disorders, Pain disorder, Somatoform disorders.
- Career Guidance for teenagers.
- Personality development training for teenagers.
- Behaviour therapy for management of Eating disorders, Obesity and other Life Style disorders
- Training to improve Emotional Intelligence.
- Scientific Guidance for students to face exams without stress and for excellence in examinations