Backed by the support of latest technology, experienced doctors, medical physicists and technologists, at the department of Radiation Oncology, BMH promises comprehensive therapeutic cancer care to all of its patients. To ensure appropriate care, the radiation oncologists at the department work in collaboration with the medical and surgical oncologists, and individualised treatment plan.
The multidisciplinary tumour board at the institute conduct evidence-based discussions to optimise individual care to the patients. Assessment of tumour volume, target volume and critical structure are done using latest imaging modalities and 3D reconstruction technology. State-of-the-art computerised and simulated systems are used in radiation treatment plan for cancer. In order to reduce patient’s discomfort, treatments are done using high-dose rate that improves accuracy in dose delivery. Apart from delivering top-notch care, we strive to enhance and improve the patient experience by offering comprehensive range of medical services and supportive programs.
Panel of Doctors
Prof. Sasindran is one of the finest radiation oncologists in Kerala with more than 3 decades of experience. He is an expert in advanced procedures like IMRT, RapidArc, IGRT, SRS, SBRT and Brachytherapy. Prior to working at BMH, he has worked at various private hospitals and medical college service.
MD in Radiation Oncology from Regional Cancer Center, Thiruvananthapuram. Training in various advanced techniques at Charite Comprehensive Cancer Center, Berlin Germany.
Teaching Experience: 30 years as teaching faculty in various medical colleges in Kerala including Medical College Calicut and Medical College Thiruvananthapuram. Worked in Amrita Institute of Medical Sciences for 3 years as Clinical Professor and Head of the department of Radiation Oncology which is a postgraduate center for Radiation Oncology. At present Head of the Department of Radiation Oncology Baby Memorial Hospital, Calicut from 11/07/2011.
Important procedures being done: This Department is equipped with External Beam Radiotherapy facility with Linear Accelerator imparting IMRT, IMRT with RapidArc and IGRT, also imparting Electron beam treatment.
Experience in SRS and SRT.
High dose Rate BRACHYTHERAPY facilities.
Work Experience till date:
- 30 years completed.
- Fellow of Indian Academy of Medical Specialities.
- Life Member of Association of Radiation Oncologists of India.
- Life Member of Indian Society of Oncology.
- Co-author of active publication in Journal of Medical Imaging and Radiation Science (2016) Analysis of Dosimetric impacts of Cone Beam Computed Tomography – Based Volumetric Modulated Arc Therapy Planning
|Mon||10:00 am - 05:00 pm|
|Tue||10:00 am - 05:00 pm|
|Wed||10:00 am - 05:00 pm|
|Thu||10:00 am - 05:00 pm|
|Fri||10:00 am - 05:00 pm|
Dr. Dhanya is a Radiation Oncologist at Baby Memorial Hospital. She is a dedicated and compassionate caregiver who is backed by the technological excellence of the hospital. She is specialized in 3D CRT, IMRT, Rapidarc, Electron Treatment Planning and HDR Brachytherapy procedures.
Dr. Dhanya joined Baby Memorial Hospital in April 2015. She specializes in 3D CRT, IMRT, Rapidarc, Electron Treatment Planning and HDR Brachytherapy procedures. Has completed BCCPM course and have 6 months experience in palliative medicine. Post MD, she has worked as Senior Resident in Government Medical College Calicut in Radiation Oncology and as Provisional Lecturer.
Has done a thesis work in Brachytherapy cervix during PG Course.
- Published a paper “A comparison of 2 different fractionation schedules in HDR Brachytherapy cervix) in JCRT".
- Presented a paper on “Carcinoma colon in a child” in State AROI in 2012.
- Published a paper “Diagnosis of Leiomyosarcoma” Colon in JCRT in 2015.
Dr. Vishnu Rajan Nambiar is a radiation oncologist trained in precision radiotherapy including IMRT, Volumetric arc therapy (VMAT), Image Guided radiotherapy (IGRT), Stereotactic Radiosurgery (SRS), Stereoablative Radiosurgery (SABR/SBRT), Total Skin Electron Therapy (TSET) and HDR Brachytherapy.
Teaching experience: MBBS, BSc. MRT and DRT students – 4 years (including post-graduate training period)
Work Experience (including oncology training):
- Amrita Cancer Institute (AIMS, Kochi): 2011 to 14
- Dept of Radiation Oncology, BMH : from October, 2014 onwards.
- Trimodality treatment in muscle invasive bladder cancer –What is the current status? Amrita Journal of Medicine,Vol.9, No:1, JanJun 2013, page 1421. K.Beena, Vishnu Rajan Nambiar, Makuny Dinesh.
- 2. Organ preservation in early carcinoma of the penis with HDR brachytherapy A retrospective review of technique and outcome. JIPMER Journal of Cancer, Vol 2:issue 1, July 2013, page 3742. K.Beena, N.M.Soumya, M.Dinesh, Rejneesh Kumar, R.N.Vishnu
- 3.Management of Stage Ib Carcinoma of Cervix. Amrita Journal of Medicine, Vol.10, No:1, JanJun 2014, page 913 (Review Article)Beena K., Anand R K, Vishnu R N.
Services & Facilities
- Dual energy “Varian” Linear Accelerator with precision 120-Millennium-Multi-Leaf Collimator and Rapid Arc
- 3D Conformal Radiation Therapy
- Intensity Modulated Radiation Therapy (IMRT) with Rapid Arc
- Image Guided Radiation Therapy (IGRT) with On Board Imaging, Cone Beam CT and respiratory gating
- Electron Beam Therapy using election beams of five different energies
- High Dose Rate Brachytherapy
- Eclipse, 10.0 computerised Treatment Planning system
- Early detection of cancer
- Multidisciplinary Tumour Board for evidence based discussions to optimise individual patient care
- Assessment of tumour volume, target volume, critical structure by using the latest imaging modalities and 3D reconstruction
- Planning of radiation treatment using state-of-the-art computerised and simulated systems
- Pre-treatment quality assurance after making radiation exposure to phantoms
- Perfect immobilisation of the patient and pre-treatment imaging and verification
- Treatment using high dose rate to reduce patient discomfort and enhanced accuracy in dose delivery
- Choice of photon and electron mode as necessary for each individual case
- Radical, palliative and whole body irradiation as situation demands