The Department of Rheumatology at Baby Memorial Hospital has a team of fully qualified doctors who with cutting‐edge treatments and therapies provide relief to rheumatology patients and help them lead a life devoid of pain. Patients with stiffness in the joints and having any kind of disorder in the tissues and bones, including musculo‐skeletal pain can visit a Rheumatologist to rule out arthritis or to get timely treatment. BMH has the most trending imaging equipment like Ultrasonography, birefringent polarizing microscope, C‐Arm and Capillaroscopy to make accurate diagnosis.
Apart from all the regular immunological tests conducted by the rheumatologists to deliver optimized benefit to the patient, several pain relief techniques are also given to patients including stellate ganglion block for patients with complex regional pain syndrome, facet joint injection, transforaminal injection, dorsal root ganglion block, coeliac ganglion block and caudal Epidural. BMH has well qualified physical therapists that can advise the patients on the treatment regime to be followed.
Panel of Doctors
Prof. Binoy J. Paul is an expert in handling various rheumatologic conditions including ankylosing spondylitis, rheumatoid arthritis, psoriatic arthritis, vasculitis, gout, SLE (Lupus), osteoarthritis and osteoporosis. His special focus lies in different Rheumatologic diseases and he has conducted a plethora of research activities on them. As recognition for his efforts he has received a horde of awards in the field. He ensures his patients receive cutting edge treatment at the hospital.
20 years of experience in Government Medical Colleges. Now working as Senior Consultant at Baby Memorial Hospital.
Epidemiology of Rheumatic diseases, Viral Arthritis and Pre Rheumatoid Arthritis.
- Asma A. Rahim, Romy Jose Thekkekara, Thomas Bina , Binoy J. PaulDisability with Persistent Pain Following an Epidemic of Chikungunya in Rural South India - The Journal of Rheumatology 2016; 43:2 :440-444
- Rosamma Joseph, SreerajRajappan, Sameera G Nath, Binoy J Paul., Association between chronic periodontitis and rheumatoid arthritis : a hospital based case control study. Rheumatology International, 2013; 33: 103-109.
- Binoy J Paul, Asma A Rahim, Thomas Bina, Romy J Thekkekara. Prevalence and Factors Related to Rheumatic Musculoskeletal Disorders in Rural South India : WHO- ILAR- COPCORD,. BJD India, Calicut Study. International Journal of Rheumatic Diseases, 2013. 16(4)392-397
- Chandni R, Binoy J Paul, Udayabhaskaran V, Ramamoorthy KP. A Study of Non Obese Diabetes Mellitus in Adult in a Tertiary Care Hospital in Kerala, India. International Journal of Diabetes in Developing Countries, 2013; 33(2): 83-85.
- Binoy J Paul, GeethaPanarkkandy, ShanuP.Moni, Emil Jacob Thachil C. Clinical Profile and Long Term Sequelae of Chikungunya Fever. Indian Journal of Rheumatology, 2011; 6(1): 12-19.
- Chopra A, Sajula M, Handa R, Ghosh A, Mahajan A, Joshi VL, Singh R, Thakuna B, Paul BJ, Rahim A, Mathews A, Pal S, Gouri LA, Chaturvedi S, Kumar T, Kumar D, Gajalakshmi V, Venugopalan A, Sarmukkam S, Mahendranath K. Measuring the burden of rheumatic musculoskeletal pain and disorders in India using WHO-ILAR COPCORD Bigwan model – A bone and Joint Decade India Initiative. International Journal of Rheumatic Diseases. 2010; 13(S1): 211-220.
- Binoy J Paul, MujeebRahman T, Sudheesh. Clinical Study of Gout in North Kerala. Indian Journal of Rheumatology. 2009; 4(4): 149-152.
- Binoy J Paul. History of Rheumatology : What are the Lessons for us. Indian Journal of Rheumatology; 2006; 1(3) : 123-128.
- Binoy J Paul, Emil J Thachil, Jayachandran NV, Radhakrishnan S. Clinical Efficacy and Adverse Effect of Weekly Single Dose Leflunomide in Refractory Rheumatoid Arthritis. Indian Journal of Rheumatology, 2007; 2(1): 3-7.
- Antony T, Jose VM, Binoy J Paul, Thomas T. Efficacy and Safety of Leflunomide alone and in Combination with Methotrexate in the treatment of Refractory Rheumatoid Arthritis. Indian Journal of Medical Sciences, 2006; 60(8): 318-326.
- Binoy J Paul. Crystal Arthritis – Past Present and Future. JK Sciences, 2006; 8(4): 232- 235. Binoy J Paul. Fever with Skin Rash – A Clinical Approach.Binoy J Paul. Calfim Journal of Internal Medicine, 2005; 1(1): 17-22.
- Dhanya TS, Rajagopal TP, Ravindran C, Binoy J Paul. Bronchiolitis Obliterans with Organizing Pneumonia in SLE – An Unusual Presentation. Pulmon 2005; 7(2): 81-84.
- Koshy S, Binoy J Paul, Ravindran C. Pleuropulmonary Manifestations of Rheumatoid Arthritis – A Prospective Study. Journal of Indian Rheumatology Association, 2004; 12(1): 7-9.
- Binoy J Paul. Current Therapy of Rheumatoid Arthritis. Kerala Medical Journal, 1999; 40(2). Binoy J Paul, Gopakumar TS, Vasu CK. Brucellar spondylitis. Journal of Association of Physicians of India, 1999; 47(4): 451-53.
- Binoy J Paul, M. Evaluation of a patient with polyarticular pain. Journal of Kerala Orthopaedic Association; 1999; 3(2): 3-9.
- Binoy J Paul, GanapathiRao G. Bhargavan PV. Comparison between Chloroquine and Sulfasalazine in Rheumatoid Arthritis. Journal of Association of Physicians of India. 1994; 42(12): 74-75.
- Kumar PD, Binoy J Paul, George Thariyan, Bhargavan PV. Poncets Disease. Journal of Association of Physicians of India. 1993; 41(6): 400-401
- Manual of Rheumatology, 4th Edition, 2014; National Book Depot, Editor, URK Rao. Gout and Hyperuricemia :
- Clinical Medicine 4th Edition 2013
- : Introduction to Rheumatology
- : Examination of Musculoskeletal System
- : Investigations in Rheumatology
Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers Ltd., Editor-in-Chief : KV Krishnadas
- API Text Book of Medicine, 9th Edition, 2012 Editor in Chief : YP Mungal, Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers Ltd., :Miscellaneous Rheumatic Disorders
- - Heritable Connective Tissue Disorders
- - Relapsing Poly Chondritis
- - Hypertrophic Osteoarthropathy
- - Pigmented VillonodularSynoviti
- Rheumatology Principles & Practice, 2010 Editors : A Syngle SD Deodhir :Rheumatological Emergencies
- Doctors Pocket Companion, 2nd Edition, 2007, Editor : PK Sasidharan : Clinical Approach to Arthritis
- : Management of Common Rheumatic Diseases
- Monograph in Rheumatoid Arthritis 2012 Editors Sukumar Mukherjee, AlakenduGhosh
- :Ocular Manifestations of Rheumatoid Arthritis
Associate Editor of Books:
- Manual of Rheumatology – 4th Edition
- Text Book of Medicine by Dr.KVKrishnadas – 6th Edition
- Monograph on Osteoporosis published by Indian Medical Association
- Recipient of Zydus oration award of Indian Rheumatology Assocation
- Recipient of VC Mathew Roy oration award of API
- Recipient of Eapen Samuel memorial award of IMA
- Recipient of PA Alexander oration award of IMA AMS
- Recipient of Dr. A.Sankara Pillai Memorial award of IMA
|Wed||9:00 am -12:00 pm (prior appointments only)|
|Thu||9:00 am -12:00 pm (prior appointments only)|
Services & Facilities
- Detailed Assessment and Clinical Work Up of All Rheumatology Problems with Computerised Scoring
- All Immunological Investigation for Connective Tissue Diseases
- State-Of-The-Art Treatment for All Complex Rheumatologic Illness like Rheumatoid Arthritis, Systemic Lupus Erythematosus & Major Vasculitic Syndromes with Multi-System Involvement