The department offers comprehensive consultative evaluation, diagnosis and treatment to patients with respiratory tract, lungs and airway diseases. We strive to provide access to the latest advances in pulmonology and sleep medicine with the help of world‐class medical equipment. We isolate the source of the problems and treat it to prevent chronic lung conditions which might lead to significant health problems. Breathing disorders sleep apnoea (sleep disorder) and allergies can be cured completely under the skilled pulmonologists at the department. Specialised care is offered for sleep disorder with the support of Sleep Lab facility.
The EBUS facility at the centre is the latest minimally invasive procedure used to diagnose lung cancer, infections and other diseases. Various other medical procedures of international standards such as Thoracoscopy, Rigid Bronchoscopy, Fibreoptic Bronchoscopy are also offered for better care. The doctors are well experienced in the diagnosis and treatment of various airway and lung diseases like asthma, COPD, Pulmonary infection, Pleural diseases etc. Services of specialised clinics such as allergy & asthma clinic, smoking & cessation clinic and lung cancer screening clinic, etc. provide personalised care for a comprehensive range of health issues.
Patients with COPD can enjoy a broad and comprehensive pulmonary rehabilitation program at BMH so they can manage their symptoms, improve muscle strength and feel stronger and fitter. The doctors at BMH advise the patients on what kind of exercises they must do and what they should avoid. Pulmonary Rehabilitation program comes as a course spread over a certain period of time, say 8 weeks or even 12 weeks, depending on the seriousness of the condition and during this time, they would teach the patients how to manage their life without becoming breathless. Unique needs of each patient are taken into account, rather than giving a generic treatment.
Panel of Doctors
Prof. K.P. Govindan is a highly experienced practitioner and faculty member in various topics related to Pulmonology. He has various researches and publications to his credit.
- MBBS for Kerala University in the year 1964
- MD (General Medicine) from Delhi University in the year 1970
- DTCD from Delhi University in the year 1979.
- WHO Fellow in RIT, Tokyo Japan and Habikino Hospital, Osaka, Japan in the year 1989
- Lecturer (Tutor) in TB and Respiratory Diseases from 1975 to 1980
- Assistant Professor in TB and Respiratory Diseases from 1980 to 1983
- Chest Specialist in Ministry of Health, Chest Diseases, Hospital Taif KSA from 1983 to 1987
- Assistant Professor in TB and Respiratory Diseases from 1987 to 1990
- Associate Professor in TB and Respiratory Diseases from 1990 to 1997
- Superintendent at Institute of Chest Disease, Medical College Calicut from 1994 to 1999
- Professor and HOD of TB and Respiratory Diseases at Medical College Calicut from 1997 to 1999
- Professor and HOD at Yenopaya Medical College from 1999 to 2009
- Professor and HOD at Kannur Medical College from 2009 to 2011
- Professor and HOD at Malabar Medical College from 2011 to 2014
- Now working as the Senior Consultant at Baby Memorial Hospital from 2014.
- Membership in Indian Medical Association
- Membership in Indian Chest Society, Elected President of ICS-2008- 09
- Membership in IUATLD, APCCM and FC Calicut.
- Changing pattern of Mycobacterial drug resistance before and after the introduction of Rifampicin in Northern Kerala. World Lung Health Conference, May 20-24, 1990 at Boston, Massachusetts, USA, American Thoracic Society, American Lung Associationand IUATLD.
- Assessment of an unsupervised 62 dose intermittent Rifampicin containing short source regimen – A controlled clinical study. 17th Eastern Regional Conference of Tuberculosis and Respiratory Diseases of the IUATLD, Nov. 1-4, 1993 Bangkok, Thailand.
- Problem of Multi Drug Resistant Tuberculosis (MDR-TB) – A critical Analysis. 18th Eastern Regional Conference on Tuberculosis and Respiratory Diseases of IUATLD, Dhaka, Bangladesh, 1995.
- Therapeutic Intervention with Mycobacterium vaccae vaccine in unsupervised Domiciliary short course Chemotherapy – our experience. 18th Eastern Region Conference on Tuberculosis and Respiratory Diseases of IUATLD, Dhaka, Bangladesh,1995.
- Histopathological Pattern of Carcinoma Bronchus in Beedi Smokers with comparison to other types of Tobacco smoking, 6-10 April 1997. Thoracic Society of Australia and NewZealand, 1997, annual Scientific Meeting, Willington, New Zealand.
- Estimation of Adenosinc Deaminase, Alpha-1 Anti Trypsin and Protease Inhibitors inPleural effusions. Lung India, 1993; 11: 139-141
- Congenital partial absence of left pericardium – Demonstration by Computer Tomography after Artificial Pneumothorax. Indian Heart Journal, 1996: 48(1): 63-65.
|Mon||10:00 am - 01:00 pm|
|Tue||12:00 pm - 01:00 pm|
|Wed||10:00 am - 01:00 pm|
|Thu||10:00 am - 01:00 pm|
|Fri||10:00 am - 01:00 pm|
|Sat||12:00 pm - 01:00 pm|
Dr. Vijayan is a senior consultant pulmonologist with varied track record of practicing in various hospitals in India and abroad. His achievements have been recognized and awarded by various institutes and organizations along the length and breadth of the country. He is also an important person in several statutory bodies on both national and international level. He was the Former Director of the Vallabhbhai Patel Chest Institute (VPCI), University of Delhi and the Former Advisor to Director General, Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) at National Institute for Research in Environmental Health at Bhopal Memorial Hospital & Research Centre, Bhopal.
Dr Vijayan had his medical education in Calicut Medical College, Kozhikode from where he took his MBBS degree (Kerala University). He did the postgraduate diploma course in Chest Diseases from the Vallabhbhai Patel Chest Institute (University of Delhi) and MD in General Medicine from the Lady Hardinge Medical College (University of Delhi), New Delhi. He obtained PhD degree in Medicine from the University of Madras and received the DSc degree from the Tamil Nadu Dr. MGR Medical University. He was selected as Talent Search Scheme Senior Research Fellow of THE ICMR. He had pursued advanced training in Pulmonology and Cardiology from Brompton Hospital and National Heart Hospital, London, UK under the Colombo Plan and in Fibreoptic Bronchoscopy and Bronchoalveolar Lavage from the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, USA under the Gandhi - Reagan Science and Technology Initiative. He has been a fellow of many scientific societies including National Academy of Medical Sciences, American College of Chest Physicians, International Medical Sciences Academy and Asian Pacific Society of Respirology.
Dr Vijayan's major areas of clinical and research work include tropical eosinophilia, studies on Bhopal Gas Disaster victims, pulmonary function studies, chemotherapy of tuberculosis, exercise physiology, studies on tobacco cessation, rheumatic heart disease, bronchial asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, bronchoalveolar lavage studies, cardio-pulmonary rehabilitation and sleep-related breathing disorders; and management of other chest diseases. He has expertise in the following procedures: Pulmonary function tests including flow volume loops, lung volumes and diffusing capacity measurements and body plethysmography; Fibreoptic bronchoscopy, bronchoalveolar lavage, endobronchial and lung biopsies; Polysomnography (Sleep studies), Pulmonary Critical Care, Pulmonary Rehabilitation, Cardio-Pulmonary exercise testing; Tobacco cessation procedures; Arterial blood gas analysis and interpretations and Immunotherapy for bronchial asthma.
Chairmanship/Membership of important statutory/expert committees
He has served as a member of the statutory committees of the University of Delhi including the University Court, Executive Council, Academic Council and Board of Research studies (Faculty of Medical Sciences). He was the Member-Secretary of the Governing Body, Scientific Advisory Committee, Standing Finance Committee and Institutional Ethics Committee of VPCI. Dr Vijayan was a member of the Scientific Advisory Group of the Division of Non-Communicable Diseases, ICMR, is a member of the Scientific Advisory Committees of National Institute of Occupational Health, Ahmedabad and National Institute for Research in Environmental Health, Bhopal. He was a member of the Bhopal Memorial Hospital and Research Centre Advisory Committee. The Vision Document for the National Institute for Research in Environmental Health under ICMR and a Guideline for Management of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease in MIC exposed subjects at Bhopal were prepared under his Chairmanship. He is one of the Trustees of the “Sambhavna Trust” working for the welfare of the methyl isocyanate (MIC) victims at Bhopal.
Dr Vijayan was the chairman of the following expert committees
- Chairman, Institutional Ethics Committee, LRS Institute of Tuberculosis & Respiratory Diseases, New Delhi under the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India
- Chairman, Project Review Committee of ICMR in the field of “Environment”
- Chairman, Curriculum Development Committee for the DM Course in Infectious Diseases, Medical Council of India, Delhi.
- Chairman, Building advisory Committee of the ICMR National Institute for Research in Environmental Health (NIREH), Bhopal
- Chairman, Equipment Committee of Bhopal Memorial Hospital and Research Centre (BMHRC), Bhopal
- Chairman,“Working Group on Environmental Health”, Ministry of Environment and Forests, Government of India
- Chairman, Indo-US projects on “Indoor air pollution and health” at ICMR
- Chairman, Expert Committee (ICMR) on “Air Pollution and Respiratory Illness”
- Co-Chair, Assessment Board for promotion of ICMR Scientists
Positions held in scientific bodies and international invitations
He was the International Governor and the International Regent of the American College of Chest Physicians; President, Indian Association for Bronchology; President, Indian College of Allergy, Asthma and Applied Immunology; Founder President, South Asia Association of Allergy, Asthma and Clinical Immunology; Founder President, Society for Tobacco Control; Founder President, Society for Nitric Oxide and Allied Radicals; Founder Vice President, World Lung Foundation, South Asia; Founder Vice President, South Asia Thoracic Society and Founder Vice-president, Pulmonary Pathology Society of India. He was the Chair of the Clinical Respiratory Medicine Assembly of the Asian Pacific Society of Respirology (APSR) and was a member of the Executive and Central Planning Committees of APSR. He was invited to participate in APSR Leadership Meeting with Sri Lanka College of Pulmonologists as one of the representatives in SAARC. Dr Vijayan was invited as a visiting Scientist, International Exchange Programme to sign Memorandum of Understanding between V.P. Chest Institute (University of Delhi) and Osaka University, Japan
Dr Vijayan was the Editor-in- Chief and Publisher of the Indian Journal of Chest Diseases and Allied Sciences and was the Editor of “Lung India”, official publications of National College of Chest Physicians (India) and Indian Chest Society respectively. He was a member of the Editorial Board of many Journals including the Chest, the World Allergy Organisation Journal and Austin Journal of Sleep Disorders. He is a reviewer for peer reviewed 30 international and 11 national medical journals. Dr Vijayan was an Inspector of the Medical Council of India (MCI) and Assessor of the National Board of Examinations for starting or continuing degree and diploma in medical courses. He was also a member of the curriculum development committees of MCI for DM (Pulmonary Medicine), DM (Infectious Diseases), MD (Pulmonary Medicine) and DTCD courses. He was a guide/co-guide of several PhD and MD theses and was an examiner of PhD, DM and MD courses of several Universities and Postgraduate Institutes. He has nearly 300 publications to his credit. Many standard medical text books have quoted his research findings. He has been invited by several academic institutions and scientific societies including American College of Chest Physicians, American Thoracic Society, Asian Pacific Society of Respirology, Peradeniya Medical School Alumni Association (Sri Lanka)and Bangladesh Lung Foundation as a faculty member and has delivered scientific guest lectures more than 800 occasions. He has been an expert member of various health-related committees and selection committees of Government of India, Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR), Department of Biotechnology (DBT), Department of Science and Technology (DST), Defense Research and Development Organisation (DRDO), Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR), Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) etc.
Dr. Vijayan was the recipient of many awards/honors/orations including ICMR National Awards (“Prof. B.K. Aikat Oration Award” and “Amrut-ModyUnichem Prize in Chest Diseases”);Calicut Medical College Alumni Oration Award; Silver Medal for the best paper presentation at the 9th International Conference on Occupational Respiratory Diseases organized by the ILO, Kyoto, Japan;best Paper and the Saroj-Jyothi Award of the Indian Chest Society; Medicine Endowment Lecture Award of the University of Madras; Ranbaxy-Robert Koch Oration award of the Tuberculosis Association of India; DN Shivpuri Memorial Oration Award of the Indian College of Allergy and Asthma Immunology; Dr. O.A.Sarma Endowment Lecture Award of the Indian Chest Society; Prof. K.C. MohantyOration Award of the Indian Chest Society;ShrimatiYashodhara Memorial Oration Award of the Indian Chest Society; Prof. A.K. Nag Choudhury memorial Oration Award of the Pharmacological Society of India; National College of Chest Physicians (I)-Cipla Oration Award; Dr PremSobti–ABC Foundation Excellence Award for the Best Chest Specialist of India; Sir Ronald Ross Memorial OrationAward of the Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Kolkata;Rashtriya Rattan Award for excellence in Medical Science by the International Study Circle, New Delhi.; Dr Santosham Memorial Oration award of the Indian Association for Bronchology; 14 th Foundation Day Oration Award of the Biotechnology Society of India, National Science Day Oration Award of the Defense Institute of Physiology & Allied Sciences;Environmental Medical Association–Dr KC Mohanty Oration Award, Smt. PushpaSriramachari Foundation day Oration Award of the National Institute of Pathology (ICMR),Indian Sleep Disorders Association OrationAward and the “Vocational Excellence Award 2015” by the Badagara Rotary International. The Governing Body of the VPCI has instituted ayearly oration, “Dr VK Vijayan Oration” recognising the outstanding contributions made by him in the field of research and clinical services.
|Mon||09:00 am - 04:00 pm|
|Tue||09:00 am - 04:00 pm|
|Thu||09:00 am - 04:00 pm|
|Fri||09:00 am - 04:00 pm|
Dr. Praveen Kumar is the Chief and Senior Consultant of Pulmonary Medicine with more than 16 years of experience. He is well experienced in management of all respiratory diseases and his areas of special interest include asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, respiratory failure, non-invasive ventilation and respiratory infections including tuberculosis.
- MBBS from Government Medical College Calicut in 1994
- MD in Pulmonary Medicine from JIPMER Pondichery in the year 2000
- DNB in Pulmonology from NBE, New Delhi in the year 2004
- MNAMS from National Academy of Medical Science in the year 2005
- Training in Critical Care from Melbourne, Australia in the year 2006.
- FCCP from American College of Chest Physician in the year 2015
- Junior Residency in Pulmonary Medicine at JIPMER from 1997 to 2000.
- Junior Consultant in Health Services from 2000 to 2002.
- Consultant from 2003, Senior Consultant from 2008 and Unit Chief from 2015 at Baby Memorial Hospital.
A Case of Pulmonary Mucormycosis; 2008 Pulmonology
|Mon||10:00 am - 05:00 pm|
|Tue||10:00 am - 05:00 pm|
|Wed||10:00 am - 05:00 pm|
|Thu||10:00 am - 05:00 pm|
|Fri||10:00 am - 05:00 pm|
|Sat||10:00 am - 05:00 pm|
Dr. Sabir is a young talented consultant Pulmonologist with special interests in asthma, COPD, non-invasive ventilation, sleep related respiratory disorders, interstitial lung diseases, pulmonary hypertension, bronchiectasis, pleural diseases, lung cancer and pulmonary rehabilitation.
- MBBS from Government Medical College, Trivandrum under University of Kerala in the year 2000 -2005
- MD Pulmonary Medicine from Government Medical College, Kottayam, under Mahatma Gandhi University in the year 2008 -2011
- Fellowship - FIAMS (Fellow of the IMA Academy of Medical Specialities in Pulmonary Medicine)
- Assistant Surgeon -(from January 2007– August 2007)in Community Health Centre, Vengara, Malappuram
- Junior Resident – 3 years (June 2008 –July 2011) in department of Pulmonary Medicine at Govt. Medical College, Kottayam.
- Senior Resident (post MD)- 1 year (August 2011- August 2012) in department of Pulmonary Medicine at Govt. Medical College ,Calicut
- Consultant– (from September 2012) in Department of Pulmonary Medicine & Critical Care, Baby Memorial Hospital, Calicut
- Study of the Relationship between Pre-Operative Pulmonary Function Tests and Post-Operative Pulmonary Complications. The findings based on this study were well acknowledged and accepted by the Pulmonary medicine faculties in Mahatma Gandhi University, Kottayam. Published in PULMON (the Journal of Respiratory Sciences) Vol 13, Number 3 (Sep – Dec) 2011 ISSN 0973 – 3809
- 6 minute walk test in assessment and monitoring of COPD in comparison with Spirometry – A paper presented in ICS J.C Kothari young scientist award session- NAPCON 2009, National Conference of Indian chest society and National College of Chest physicians, Calicut.
- Prevalence and predictors of pulmonary artery hypertension in patients with systemic sclerosis – A paper presented in CHEST UPDATE 2010, endorsed by ACCP, 28th & 29th August 2010, Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India.
- Study of the relationship between preoperative FEV1 and postoperative pulmonary complications in upper abdominal surgeries. - A poster presented in RESPICON 2011 Annual Conference of Academy of Pulmonary & Critical Care Medicine, 21st & 22nd May 2011, Department of Pulmonary Medicine, Medical College, Calicut.
- 2nd prize in Inter College Quiz, South India Post graduate Pulmonology update 2010
- 3rd prize in poster presentation for junior residents in RESPICON 2011 Annual conference of Academy of Pulmonary & Critical Care Medicine, 21st & 22nd May 2011, Department of Pulmonary Medicine, Medical College, Calicut
- 1st prize in WORLD ASTHMA DAY May 2009 Quiz conducted by Department of Pulmonary Medicine, Medical College, Kottayam
|Mon||09:00 am - 05:00 pm|
|Tue||09:00 am - 05:00 pm|
|Wed||09:00 am - 05:00 pm|
|Thu||09:00 am - 05:00 pm|
|Sat||09:00 am - 05:00 pm|
Dr Nandini is the consultant pulmonologist at BMH with brilliant academic track record and many years of experience in the field of Pulmonary Medicine. She is well experienced in management of all respiratory diseases. She is also well trained in Bronchoscopy and Interventional Procedures including Endobronchial Ultrasound (EBUS). Dr Nandini is among the first doctors who started EBUS procedure in Kerala.
- MBBS from Government Medical College Alappuzha.
- DTCD and MD in Pulmonary Medicine from Government Medical College, Thiruvananthapuram in 2009.
- DNB by National board of examinations, New Delhi.
She was working as senior lecturer in the Department of Pulmonary Medicine at Medical College Trivandrum before she joined PVS Memorial Hospital, Kochi in 2012, where she established first centre of EBUS in Kerala in 2013. She joined BMH in April, 2015.
Dr Nandini has got lot of research papers to her credit. She has received the prestigious “Young Scientist Award” instituted by Indian Chest Society, during the National Conference of Pulmonary and Critical Care Physicians in 2009. She has also presented various papers at National TB Conference and National Bronchoscopy Conferences. Dr Nandini is highly skilled in Bronchoscopic Interventions and has got advanced training in Endobronchial Ultrasound. She is well versed in the management of all respiratory diseases including Bronchial Asthma, COPD, Allergic Disorders, Sleep Apnoea and Tuberculosis.
|Mon||09:00 am - 12:00 pm , 02:00 pm - 04:00 pm|
|Tue||09:00 am - 12:00 pm , 02:00 pm - 04:00 pm|
|Wed||09:00 am - 12:00 pm , 02:00 pm - 04:00 pm|
|Thu||09:00 am - 12:00 pm , 02:00 pm - 04:00 pm|
|Fri||09:00 am - 12:00 pm , 02:00 pm - 04:00 pm|
|Sat||09:00 am - 12:00 pm , 02:00 pm - 04:00 pm|
Services & Facilities
- FIBRE OPTIC BRONCHOSCOPY
- Biopsy of lung masses
- Evaluation of haemoptysis
- Diagnosis of Tuberculosis and other infections
- Transbronchial lung biopsy
- RIGID BRONCHOSCOPY
- Foreign body removal
- Tumour Debulking
- Airway stenting
- ENDOBRONCHIAL UNTRASOUND (EBUS) & TRANSBRONCHIAL NEEDLE ASPIRATION
- Diagnosis of Mediastinal Adenopathy – TB, Sarcoidosis, Lymphoma, Malignancy
- Evaluation of Perihilar Lung Masses
- Staging of Malignancy
- Biopsy of Peripheral Masses by radial probe EBUS
- MEDICAL THORACOSCOPY
- Biopsy of Pleural Nodules
- Evaluation of undiagnosed Pleural Effusions
- Diagnosis of Tuberculous Pleural Effusion, Malignant Effusion, Mesothelioma
- Management of Empyema & Pleural Infection
- PULMONARY REHABILITATION PROGRAM
- Exercise training for chronic respiratory diseases including COPD, Bronchiestasis, ILD, c/c Asthma
- SLEEP LAB
- For evaluation of OSA
- CPAP Titration
- SPECIALISED CLINICS
- Allergy, Asthma clinic with allergen testing and immunotherapy
- Smoking Cessation Clinic
- Lung Cancer Screening Clinic
- MINOR PROCEDURES
- ICD Insertion
- Transthoracic Needle Aspiration
- Trans Thoracic Lung Biopsy
- MANAGEMENT OF RESPIRATORY FAILURE
- Non Invasive Ventilation
- Invasive Mechanical Ventilation
- Critical Care ICU
- THORACIC SURGERY DEPARTMENT
- General Thoracic Surgery
- Lung Resection
- THORACIC ONCOLOGY
- Early detection of lung cancer
- Lung Resections
- Chemotherapy unit/Medical Oncology
- Radiation Oncology with EMRT and Brachytherapy
- INTERVENTIONAL RADIOLOGY
- Bronchial Artery Embolisation for Hemoptysis
- Virtual Bronchoscopy
- Low dose CT for screening of lung cancer
- CT Guided True cut Biopsy of Lung Lesions