The department provides excellent medical and surgical care to athletes and non-athletes of all ages. The medical professionals at the department ensures quick recovery.
Arthroscopy & Sports Injuries
The department provides medical care to athletes and non‐athletic people of all ages. We understand the need for quick recovery and pain management in sports injuries and our sports medicine team works with surgeons to put our patient's health back on track. Using the latest minimally invasive surgical techniques and the latest imaging techniques, our specially trained doctors offer consultation, treatment and surgery for sports injuries without restricting the activity of the patient and reducing recovery time.
The world‐class Arthroscopy theatre at BMH regularly conducts knee, elbow and shoulder arthroscopy, revision, and replacement surgeries. Through our fully equipped Sports Rehabilitation and Physiotherapy unit we provide a line‐up of services ranging from sports injury management to fitness testing and exercise prescription for health and fitness, and sports performance enhancement. We also offer sports medicine services to USHA School of Athletics, Sports Authority of India, Sports and Educational Promotional Trust (SEPT) and several other sports organisation and provide regular training and treatment to the athletes. The department provides fellowship opportunity in Arthroscopy and Sports Injuries in collaboration with Smith and Nephew.
Panel of Doctors
Dr. Schiller is a Senior Consultant Orthopedic Surgeon with focus on Arthroscopy and Sports Injuries. He is trained in sports traumatology at University Pierre et Marie Curie, Paris. He is renowned for treating famous sports personnel. There are many publications on arthroscopy and sports trauma to his credit.
- MBBS from Govt. Medical College, Trichur from 1982 to 1987.
- Senior Resident in Orthopaedics from Diplomat universitaire. Sports traumatologie, University Pierre et Marie Curie. Paris from 198788 and 199192.
- Interne. Hospital St. Maurice. Institut national de sports traumatologie. Paris. France. 1992
- Diploma in Orthopaedics at KMC Manipal from 199496.
- Orthopaedic Surgeon at National hospital, Calicut from 1996 - 2001.
- Senior Consultant at National hospital, Calicut from 2001 from 2007.
- Senior Consultant at Baby Memorial Hospital, Calicut from 2008 to till date.
- Member of Indian Orthopaedic Association.
- Member of Kerala Orthopaedic Association.
- Member of Indian Arthroscopic Society.
- Member of Indian Shoulder and Elbow Society.
- Secretary of Kerala Shoulder and Elbow Society.
- Medical Advisor of Ushas School of Athletics, SEPT Football Academy, Sports Authority of India Fencing, Football, Volleyball etc.
Currently researching on relationship between portal placement and femoral tunnel length in trans portal technique of acl reconstruction.
- Meniscal repair techniques. Indian Arthroscopy Society. Annual Meet. Manipal 2008.
- PCL and pLC Reconstruction, indications and technique. OASISCON (Orthopaedic Association of South India.) Hyderabad. 2011.
- Subacromial Impingement Principles of Management. OASISCON. (Orthopaedic Association of South India). Bangalore. 2012.
- Arthroscopic Subacromial Decompression Treatment Rationale. OASISCON. (Orthopaedic Association of South India). Pondicherry. 2013.
- Dr. Alexander. Memorial Oration. Posterior and Postero. Lat. Instabilities. Arthrocon 2012.
- Conducted live Surgery on ACL/PCL combined Reconstruction. Arthrocon 2012.
- Transportal ACL Reconstruction Advantages, Disadvantages. Kerala Orthopaedic Association Annual Conference. Kottayam. 2013.
- Chaired Session on Arthroscopy in Karnataka Orthopaedic Association Annual Meet, Manipal. 2013.
- Bone Patellar Tendon Bone ACL Reconstruction. Tamil Nadu Orthopaedic Association Annual Meet. Thanjavur. 2013.
- Saving the Meniscus. Techniques of Meniscal Repair. Conference Lecture. Jan 25. 2014. Kerala Orthopaedic Association Annual Meet. Trivandrum.
- Instructor for Cadaveric Workshop on Basic Shoulder Arthroscopy. Rammaiah Advanced Medical Learning Centre. Bangalore conducted by Asian Arthroscopy Society and Karl Storz.
- Scheduled Advanced Shoulder Workshop under KOA. Calicut in 2014.
- Arthroscopic Workshop with Live Surgeries scheduled for 2015 in Baby Memorial Hospital with KOA Annual Conference.
|Tue||09:00 am - 04:00 pm|
|Wed||09:00 am - 04:00 pm|
|Thu||09:00 am - 04:00 pm|
|Fri||09:00 am - 04:00 pm|
Services & Facilities
- Fully equipped Sports Rehabilitation and Physiotherapy Unit with specialised Therapists.
- Arthroscopy Theatre with world class instrumentations.
- Key Hole Surgery for Shoulder, Knee, Ankle, Elbow and small joints.
- Autologous Chrondocyte Implantation of patient's own cultured cells for damaged
Cartilage, Autologous Osteochondral Autograft.
- Arthroscopic Shoulder Surgeries.
- Latarjet procedure for failed Arthroscopic Repair for Shoulder Dislocation.
- Revision Surgery for failed Ligament Surgeries.
- Repair of Multiligamentous injuries of Knees, all Musculoskeletal Ports Injuries.
- Sports Rehabilitation and Fitness Training, Kinesiology Taping, Splinting and Braces.